[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] Rosserial_arduino performance question

Burt ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 22:34:05 UTC 2017

Hi,  I've been using myrobotlab but am looking to migrate to ROS.  SO I'm just getting started.

Currently using Arduino to interface to 5 servos in a humanoid head including eye cameras as a starting point for some CV experimentation with object tracking and recongition.

I've installed the latest version of 32 bit ROS on a Ubuntu 16.04.2 Mate system running in 32bit VirtualBox under Linux Mint.  of course I expect that things will be a bit slower running on the VM.  But Ubuntu is pretty responsive.

I've built the Blink example and have successfully controlled the LED using ROS, but there is a several second delay from when I start the command to when the LED changes state.

Same thing for the single servo example.  It takes about 4 seconds from then I start rostopic to when the servo actually moves.

Is this just due to running in the VM environment, or is there something else that I should be looking at to improve the performance.  Obviously a 5 second latency from command to movement is going to be a problem:)

If it is just due to the VM environment I have another machine I can sacrifice to doing a bare metal install of Ubuntu 16.04 on.

Other than this perhaps being due to the VM installation is there anything I should be looking at that can reduce the latency?

Thanks,
Burt

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/rosserial-arduino-performance-question/1631/1) or reply to this email to respond.