[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [robot description formats] Common location for sensor URDF files?

Isaac I. Y. Saito ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 04:46:52 UTC 2017

For example, in [turtlebot_description](http://wiki.ros.org/turtlebot_description) there are [some sensors' xacro, mesh and all](https://github.com/turtlebot/turtlebot/tree/931d04516ee2257d21b68646b89a897b7650e70d/turtlebot_description) that are enough for ROS usecases (and for visualizing on Gazebo too). Failing to find so far a robot-agnostic location where I can get Kinect models, I've been reluctantly depending on `turtlebot_description` from my robot packages just to use those models.

Is there already a good to way to avoid bizarre dependency like above? Or if there isn't, what we can do to amend this?

I thought we may want to create a sensor description package, maybe somewhere close to its driver. For example for Kinect it may be like in [freenect_stack](https://github.com/ros-drivers/freenect_stack/) (need more discussion for the specific location of course).

Also available on Gazebo are some sensors' `SDF`s, which cannot reversibly be used in ROS AFAIK. So IMO this can't be an option.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/common-location-for-sensor-urdf-files/1758/1) or reply to this email to respond.