[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [TurtleBot] [TB3] 64 Bit Gentoo Image

Hunter L. Allen ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 23:45:26 UTC 2017

Hey all!

As you may have seen, there's been some significant improvement with respect to Running ROS on Gentoo in the past few months. As such, I've compiled a 64-Bit Raspberry Pi 3 image with the necessary ROS components pre-installed!

Link to the image is [here.](https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8HppXub4qvYU0ZRMEhUakxyc0E/view?usp=sharing)

Info:
====

OS:
------
```
turtlebot at burger ~ $ uname -a
Linux burger 4.9.40-v8+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Aug 3 13:18:43 PDT 2017 aarch64 GNU/Linux
```

Partitions:
--------------
 * `/boot`: 128M, vfat
 * `swap`: 512 M
 * `/`: 14 G, ext4

Compiler:
-------------
 * GCC 6.4.0
 * `CFLAGS="-march=armv8-a+crc -mtune=cortex-a53 -ftree-vectorize -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"`
 * `MAKEOPTS="-j2"`
 * No `USE` flags are enabled, I left that to you

ROS:
---------
 * kinetic, installed in `/opt/ros/kinetic`
 * workspace in `~/catkin_ws`

Usage:
======
Not much needs to be adjusted (woot). you'll need to set up the wifi, however.

User/Password:
-----------------------
 * username is "turtlebot"
 * password is "turtlebot"
 * root password is also "turtlebot"
 * You may consider emerging `sudo`, if you want.

Wireless:
--------------
Edit the file `/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf` as needed.

```
ctrl_interface=/run/wpa_supplicant
update_config=1

network={
	ssid="network ssid"
	psk="super secret password"
}
```

After the wireless is established, you should be able to ssh to the host `burger.local`.

ROS Setup:
-----------------
 The only thing to change here (as usual) is the `ROS_MASTER_URI`. Just change this value, and you should be good to go!

What's Enabled?
 * I know for a fact that the wireless is working.
 * All turtlebot3 packages
 * 64-bit mode
 * Video acceleration (though, if you want to install a desktop, you should remove the line that says `gpu_mem` in the `/boot/config.txt` file.

**Note: I have not tried anything with bluetooth, so I would not assume it is functioning.**

Let me know if you run into any issues! This is certainly not restricted only to turtlebot3 people -- you can install most packages now through portage.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tb3-64-bit-gentoo-image/2435/1) or reply to this email to respond.