[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Why don't we use ROS?

Chris Albertson ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 21:52:54 UTC 2017

The approach is different.  Has motors have interface to accept commands and ROS can send commands.   But the control loop is still closed inside ROS.

When I say control loop I means the one that is looking at error in the 6 DOF arm's end position.  ROS looks at this error then sends message to each motor controller.  Machine kit does this calculation inside a lop that runs 1000 or more times per second.

A good division of labor might to have ROS send a message like (go to x,y,z with orientation a,b,c) and ROS might update this 10 or 20 times per second.   Then MK was direct control of all 6 motors in the arm and update the motor control signals 1000 ties per second.  MK is not just a dumb motor controller.  It can compute the kinematics and plan a way to correct error in the trajectory

Again the defiance between using 6 motor controls and ROS vs. using MK is that MK can do kinematics.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/why-dont-we-use-ros/3161/27) or reply to this email to respond.