[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Development setup for multiple ROS distros?

v-lopez ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 12:31:50 UTC 2017

Would anyone mind sharing how they have configured their computers to work with ROS Indigo (Ubuntu 14.04) and Kinetic (Ubuntu 16.04) or any other combination of incompatible distributions?
The obvious choice is having separate computers or at least hard drives and completely separated OS. But this is quite annoying to have to duplicate or triplicate everything (IDE configurations, browsers, shortcuts...)
Another option would be VM's, but we've had some performance issues and would like to avoid them if possible.

I know next to nothing about docker, but could it be used to have different ROS installations on a single computer? I don't know if this contradicts the "one application per docker" mantra, since I would like to log into the docker from mutliple terminals, and checkout code, edit, compile and run it from within the docker, and accessing robots in the LAN of the host computer.

TLDR; How do you guys handle developing comfortably for multiple ROS distributions?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/development-setup-for-multiple-ros-distros/1280/1) or reply to this email to respond.