[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] Deterministic replay and debugging

janismac ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 19:37:55 UTC 2017

Thanks for all your suggestions!

**Ecto**: Ecto seems to be always synchronous. I'm aiming for a system that is asynchronous in operation (for better performance) and synchronous when debugging from a log. Also not being able to use the ROS tools is a drawback.

**Orocos, OpenRTM, LCM, etc.**: If I have to, I could switch Frameworks, but I'd rather stick with ROS if possible.

**rr** sounds pretty good, but as far as I can see it only works on a single process. I'm not sure how one would use that with ROS across multiple nodes and topics.

**logging and visualization**: Yes those are useful for many problems. But I was thinking about Heisenbug type problems. What if you have a Segfault that cannot be reproduced? It'd be nice to be able to run through the exact same sequence of events in a debugger.

**implement your own flow control using services**: That's actually the approach I've been working on for the last two days. I've developed a concept and prototype to do what I described in my original post. It seems promising so far, it can reproduce an example calculation that is very sensitive to timing changes between the involved nodes. I'll write up the details tomorrow if anyone is interested.

--
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/deterministic-replay-and-debugging/1316/6) or reply to this email to respond.