[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] Deterministic replay and debugging

Davide Faconti ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 22:25:29 UTC 2017

> What if you have a Segfault that cannot be reproduced? It'd be nice to be able to run through the exact same sequence of events in a debugger.

This is EXACTLY the kind of problem that can be perfectly solved using RR.

In a multiprocess system, only a single process will SEGFAULT. it you have recorded it with RR, you will be able to see precisily what happened, Since it will reply the state of the process, even if the other nodes are not running.

Don't dismiss RR too quickly, as I said, I have the feeling that it already solve 90% of your problems ;)

You can of course use synchronous services instead of asynchronous topics, but you are changing the whole architecture of your system; so it CAN be done, but it is not a decision you should take lightly.

And if you can build your system using a synchronous pipeline, then it means that you abused topics and nodes in the first place :slight_smile:

--
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/deterministic-replay-and-debugging/1316/7) or reply to this email to respond.