[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Announcing ros_control updates

Bence Magyar ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 21:46:58 UTC 2017

Dear ROS community,

It is my pleasure to bring you the latest updates from the realms of ros_control.
These updates will become available after the next Kinetic sync.

* `joint_trajectory_controller`: Support for partial joint trajectories. No longer specifying full goal list if you only need to move a few of them! This in my opinion was a major setback for this controller, I'm glad it's out of the way now.
You can enable this behaviour by adding `allow_partial_joints_goal: true` to your `joint_trajectory_controller` configuration file.
I've done a test with PAL's TIAGo on ROS Kinetic that you can see [here](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57a70HYQTY0)

* `combined_robot_hardware_interface`: A new addition to our core ros_control tools is the possibility to allow plugin based separation of robot_hardware implementations under a single controller_manager. Why, you may ask? It allows hardware manufacturers to ship their robot_hw along with their module which eases integration with an existing system that already runs `ros_control`.
A high-res system graph can be found [here](https://github.com/ros-controls/ros_control/blob/kinetic-devel/combined_robot_hw/etc/architecture.svg) and the [related ROSCon talk here](https://vimeo.com/187696094).

I see that we lack documentation therefore I'd like to ask all of you who may already have something to reach out and try to contribute that. Feel free to open a github issue or write to the ROS Control SIG mailing list. Thank you!

Big thumbs to [Shadow Robot](http://www.shadowrobot.com) who were our biggest contributors recently.
Thanks guys, you are awesome!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/announcing-ros-control-updates/1333/1) or reply to this email to respond.