[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Embedded] Information for those using Raspberry Pi, Ubuntu Xenial, and ROS Kinetic

suforeman ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 15:45:46 UTC 2017

I do see the attention to Ubuntu Core. This is why my previous conclusion was to suggest ROS to consider Raspbian or even one of the other fully supported Linux distributions for the Raspberry Pi audience.

Here is where I see a divergence between ROS and Ubuntu as far as the Raspberry Pi is concerned.

The majority of Raspberry Pi owners (and the focus of the Raspberry Pi org) is the experimentor, student, tinkerer, maker, learner, creator.

Ubuntu Core appears to focus on IoT which is more of a commercial direction.

Unless a lot more packages are constructed as Snaps, it leaves very little usefulness for a large segment of the Raspberry Pi user base. (You can't just "apt-get install" on Ubuntu Core.

Is ROS considering a focus on Ubuntu Core?

My personal activity with ROS is more "research" and "creator" and not IoT. None of the Taspbery Pi based projects I'm involved in are looking at Ubuntu Core.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/information-for-those-using-raspberry-pi-ubuntu-xenial-and-ros-kinetic/1205/8) or reply to this email to respond.