[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [general] ARIAC Registration is Open!

gerkey ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 23:38:19 UTC 2017

We are proud to announce that registration is now open for the first ever Agile Robotics for Industrial Automation Competition (ARIAC). If interested, please see the registration link at the bottom of this email.

The competition is a joint effort between the IEEE Conference on Automation Science and Engineering (CASE) and NIST's Intelligent Systems Division and is co-sponsored by ABB, Siemens, and Dassault Systemes with support from the Open Source Robotics Foundation (OSRF). This simulation-based competition is designed to promote agility in industrial robot systems by utilizing the latest advances in artificial intelligence and robot planning. The goal is to enable industrial robots on the shop floors to be more productive, more autonomous, and to require less time from shop floor workers.

Because the competition will be held in the cloud, there is no need to travel to compete. The competition will use the Gazebo simulation tool.

Qualifying

To compete in ARIAC 2017, each team must complete at least 1 of the 3 qualifiers.  Each qualifier will be increasingly difficult, with the first designed to primarily ensure that teams can install the software and control a robot in a representative manufacturing environment.

The first qualifier will be posted on Jan. 27th 2017, at which point teams will have 4 weeks to submit their control solution.  Each subsequent qualifier will be posted shortly after submissions have closed on the prior qualifier. The competition itself will be held at the beginning of June 2017 in the cloud. We encourage you to complete all three qualifiers, even though only one is required. The second and third qualifiers will better prepare you for the challenges presented in the competition.

Teams must register before they can qualify.  Each qualifier will be available for 4 weeks after its initial posting.

How A Qualifier Works

You will participate in a qualifier remotely, using your own computer. We will provide instructions for how to download and install a particular version of the ARIAC software. We highly recommend using a computer that runs 64-bit Ubuntu Trusty (14.04); while other platforms may work, we are only officially supporting ARIAC on 64-bit Trusty. You'll use our software together with your own code to complete a specified task, and then upload evidence of your work (e.g., data logs). We will accept uploads for approximately 1 month following the release of a new qualifier.

After ARIAC
The top performing teams will be invited to present at a workshop held during IROS 2017 in Vancouver.

Supporting Information
Below you will find all of the relevant information for the competition.  Please note that the Main NIST ARIAC Website has changed to what is listed below.

  *   Registration: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSejdIAW1wK4opOq4Y0AJX_8WHXUVSgQ7ts2nd0tOKd9Z25Htw/viewform?c=0&w=1

  *   Main NIST ARIAC Website (General information): https://www.nist.gov/el/intelligent-systems-division-73500/agile-robotics-industrial-automation

  *   Main OSRF ARIAC Website (Software Tutorials and technical specifics): http://gazebosim.org/ariac

  *   Support Email: ariac at nist.gov