[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [general] New Software Release Announcements

Daniel Stonier ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 11:47:20 UTC 2017

Ok, seems like there are enough people surfing the same wavelength, so I'll draft a starting point for some more concrete guidelines that I feel would be useful here. Feel free to discuss.

1. Announcements can be for a new release or a major update to an existing release. The point here is to notify people when there is something *significantly* new and both count towards this.
2. One thread per software release (or major update)
3. Some initial banter to guide people in the right direction for the release is fine. Technical questions, especially later, should be directed towards ROS Answers. Design questions/feature requests should be directed to the issue trackers or if large enough, open a separate category here on discourse.
4. Expressing emoticons or brief opinions about the release is fine.
5. Binary releases only

I'm not strong on 5) but releasing binaries on the OSRF build farm isn't a difficult process, and it's a small step that goes a long way to making things easy for users. We should encourage that!

Statistics/thread monitoring - I'd leave this to later. Just get things rolling first and see what pans out.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/new-software-release-announcements/1203/11) or reply to this email to respond.