[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Computer Vision / Perception] Discussion on detection of people and obstacles in a dense crowd

Jay Newman ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 17:22:27 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm not at the point of being able to ask a proper question yet. However, I am starting on a project that will hopefully work as a telepresence robot for a friend of mine who is housebound. This would, hopefully, allow her to attend science fiction conventions.

The problem is that science fiction conventions are extremely crowded and I don't want the robot to be able to run into anybody or anything, at least no more than a human would in a similar situation.

The robot will have a lot of sensors to detect objects at various levels, but I think that vision is the best way to detect people in this situation. And I'm sure that it won't help that many of the people will be in costume.

Does anybody have any ideas about how to approach this problem?

The planner to determine the route of the robot would include the above data, in addition to the goals of the remote user and also keeping me within a certain distance. But right now I am only concerned about detecting the "crowd." Finding a way through the crowd is different problem. It is similar to the problem of a child in a similar circumstance with orders to keep their parents in sight and not to run into people.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-on-detection-of-people-and-obstacles-in-a-dense-crowd/2109/1) or reply to this email to respond.