[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] Still using Indigo instead of kinetic? Why?

Isaac I. Y. Saito ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 01:01:51 UTC 2017

As a co-maintainer of the robot (Nextage) api package that's still running on Indigo and there's no plan to port to uppper versions yet, I can share some of our experiences:

- Simply the time (and its cost) to conduct a full test with the hardware.
- The risk of any regression on the users end particular those who have built non-trivial size of applications over the last few years can be understandably hesitant for the platform change.

I do see the benefit of upper version. Not just the higher major version (Gazebo, Gazebo, and others) but smaller new features to the ROS core libraries are not always ported backward by default AFAIK. On the other hand Ubuntu Trusty will still be supported for another 2 years so is Indigo, advantage may not over-weigh the disadvantages under limited resource in our particular case.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/still-using-indigo-instead-of-kinetic-why/2150/4) or reply to this email to respond.