[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Rosshow: ASCII/Unicode art viewers for sensor message types

Dheera Venkatraman ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 17:21:48 UTC 2017

@awesomebytes Good idea! Will work on that but probably not free until next week; if you want to take a stab at converting it to a package in the next few days let me know!

@NikolausDemmel Thanks for the feedback! I used a package I made called python-termgraphics (github.com/dheera/python-termgraphics) for drawing, and I targeted dual Python2/3 compatibility with that. I guess I just need to make the ROS part with dual compatibility. Is there any reason ROS is using Python 2 as the default still? (I use Python 3 for most of my robot code for future-proofing especially with TensorFlow and other new packages pushing for Python 3 support first.)

Another option I was considering is to eventually just port the whole thing to C++ (especially useful for people who may run the image viewer on RPis or other embedded hardware).

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/rosshow-ascii-unicode-art-viewers-for-sensor-message-types/2212/4) or reply to this email to respond.