[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Software reuse in ROS1 and ROS2

Paul Bovbel ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 19:16:58 UTC 2017

Thanks for that brain dump, it's definitely helpful to know what direction you're going in.

* The idea of a CMake 'catkin' API shim in ament is very attractive, if only to have a standard DRY implementation.
* After some more thought, I suppose common (ROS agnostic) C++ code would best be placed in a pure CMake package, that could be built as a dependency in either a ROS1 or a ROS2 distro. Really, that approach could suffice for anything other than interface packages (_msgs), which is why ros1_bridge needs special macros and patched release repos.
* Not sure how the story would work for python. Forgive my ignorance of python packaging - a 'pure' package in that case would just be a setuptools setup.py type of thing? Is there any way to make a package that would 'build' (be referenceable as a dependency/end up on the PYTHONPATH) in both a ROS1 and ROS2 distro?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/software-reuse-in-ros1-and-ros2/2262/5) or reply to this email to respond.