[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] Questions about improving the ROS real-time method

Keivan Zavari ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 16:15:13 UTC 2017

Hi,

Here in Belgium, we do use OROCOS quite regularly and in most cases, we just use Orocos-rtt components instead of ROS nodes.

- Orocos provides a nice deployment script (similar to a launch file, in its own script and Lua) and
- a state-machine (again both in its scripting language and Lua) which can make life easier.
- In some cases we even control the data flow. For example we control in which order the components have to run, `comp1` then `comp2`.

Some similarities would be
- Orocos uses components instead of nodes.
- Orocos uses ports instead of publishers and subscribers. Orocos does very nicely communicate with ros nodes though.
- Components can be made in C++ & Lua, while in ROS it is C++ & Python.