[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [TurtleBot] OpenCR and encoders

Marques Rasmussen ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 04:31:20 UTC 2017

I want to use my OpenCR board to interface with two quadrature encoders for odometry and wanted to get your thoughts on different approaches.

I did some searching and the STM32F7 is capable of reading quadrature encoders (I'm not sure how many yet) but this may conflict with the current firmware settings on the board.
Anyone know if the Low-power timer (LPTIM1) is being used for anything?
[STM32F746ZG  Datasheet](http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/datasheet/96/ed/61/9b/e0/6c/45/0b/DM00166116.pdf/files/DM00166116.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00166116.pdf)

My other option would be to use external counters and interface to them via SPI...
[3 axis Arduino encoder shield](https://www.robogaia.com/3-axis-encoder-conter-arduino-shield.html)

Other methods I should consider?

I'm leaning towards the external counters but don't know if the SPI bus is already being used for the Gyros or other sensors (STM32F7 is capable of up to 6 SPI ports).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/opencr-and-encoders/2335/1) or reply to this email to respond.