[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Astra driver for ROS2

Secretary Birds ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 15:13:48 UTC 2017

I just figured that the function is pretty basic. Iterate n^2 over an image and convert to PointCloud2 format. I'm already compiling in Release, so optimization is all on. So maybe GPU is the only way to go for real acceleration.

But all that aside, I did some performance analysis using the `operf` tool and ran it against both the ROS1 and ROS2 versions of both `astra_camera_node` and `depth_image_proc/point_cloud_xyz : depth_to_pointcloud`.
It looks like they both spend about the same time in the same functions, but the ROS2 variants spend extra time in `libsensor_msgs__rosidl_typesupport_coredx_cpp.so sensor_msgs::msg::typesupport_coredx_cpp::convert_ros_message_to_dds(sensor_msgs::msg::PointCloud2_<std::allocator<void> > const&, sensor_msgs::msg::dds_::PointCloud2_&)`.

Not sure if there are techniques, yet, that help to accelerate/overcome this new conversion step.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/astra-driver-for-ros2/1894/11) or reply to this email to respond.