[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Site Feedback] Local user group category with sub-categories

Geoffrey Biggs ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 03:10:34 UTC 2017

I would like to propose a new category for local user groups, with sub-categories for each group.

This would allow these user groups to have a central place of discussion rather than having to set up their own mailing lists. Rather than having posts in this category directly, I also propose that local user groups make a request to have a sub-category set up for them. Within their sub-category, these groups would be free to do things like post news only locally-relevant and speak in their native language.

More specifically, I would like a sub-category, ROSJP, for the Japanese user group. We need a place where local users can feel free to post in Japanese without feeling like they are polluting a non-Japanese-language board. Otherwise, we find that Japanese users tend to feel like using Japanese is forbidden and don't participate.

While I recognise there may be fears of splitting the ROS community, the fact is that there are a large number of ROS users who do not feel comfortable communicating in English. I feel it would be good for the central discussion board of ROS to provide these people a home in their own language.

Discourse allows the administrator to set site-wide defaults for email/subscription preferences. The entire local user group category should be disabled by default, and users who find a relevant sub-category can enable that one only if they choose to do so.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/local-user-group-category-with-sub-categories/2019/1) or reply to this email to respond.