[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [TurtleBot] Is Turtlebot the right platform for us?

Pito Salas ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 02:15:35 UTC 2017

Hi Jay

> Perhaps if you first prepared a relatively simple project for the students by having them use a specific part of ROS to do what you wanted.

I assume the idea of doing something like that on an arduino robot you feel is not the best use of time. My second project I was designing is for them to create a map of a small part of the building and then using the ROS simulator train the simulated robot to find its way from my office to an office down the hall.

> For example, the suggestion of having the robot roll in a simple square. Though I might suggest doing line or maze following. Both of these seem more fun for students than rolling in a square which seems more like a homework problem.

A maze is much more fun, good idea. I thought that not using line following but making them think about 2d geometry as they try to do a straight line, using some kind of sensor to find distance to walls might be a little more challenging and interesting. Line following seems too easy or am I thinking about this wrong?

> If you teach the general concepts of ROS and then concentrate on the parts of ROS that the students would need in order to achieve the goal, ROS might work out.
>
> After I do the basics to learn ROS with the Waffle as ordered, I will attempt to replace the Joule with a NUC and give the Joule to my preordered Burger. After this, I will keep those machines for demos and build something more complex and fun.

Great idea for a progression! Thanks and keep any suggestions coming!

Pito

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/is-turtlebot-the-right-platform-for-us/1892/14) or reply to this email to respond.