[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Valter The Robot

Valter The Robot ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 23:59:58 UTC 2017

Let me present to you my personal project Valter The Robot. General interest in modern trends in automation and thinking about the time, usually spent, on doing housekeeping routines had inspired me few years ago to start this project.

[Valter The Robot (ROS Wiki)](http://wiki.ros.org/Robots/Valter)

For at least last 3 years (after major Valter assembly was completed) I'm heavily using ROS for various of tasks. I'm still in an active stage of improving / implementing different autonomous behavior of my robot.
Besides this I'm trying to make it more gentle, more social... And all this for a certain good reason! Indeed, I have very specific steady problem while working with robot Valter. My older son very much afraid of it.
Neither I nor my wife never told my son Igor that Valter (the robot) could harm him in any manner. On the contrary, we say all the time that robot Valter loves him and wants to take care of him. Moreover I'm trying as much as possible to make my robot more gentle (speaking to Igor in his specific "child" language, making him presents like new toys).
Such a problem results into the following situation: it's possible to work productivley with robot only at night, thanks robot is pretty quiet while operating. So the overall progress is not so strong as I would like it to be. But I'm constantly doing improvements.
As nearest super-goals I see the following:
- make Valter even more social and delicate
- make Valter even more autonomous (unmanned charging from wall 220V outlet with charger module, docking to 12V charger-station)
- improve visual RTABMap Ros navigation (odometry) with backup on-board localization sub-sybstems
- improve object recognition with ORK
- develop and produce special hand-tools / graspers for precise manipulation with small objects

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/valter-the-robot/2066/1) or reply to this email to respond.