[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS2 on Gentoo

Hunter L. Allen ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 20:05:38 UTC 2017

Hey, all!

I'm documenting what I did to get ROS2 to cooperate on Gentoo. As problems come up/fixes are created/I learn more, I'll update!

This was actually not that difficult (though I imagine that, as ROS2 gets bigger, so will the amount of effort). I was able to follow the normal source install, for the most part.

I could not, however, get the vcs to work. Instead, I simply wrote a script to do it.

    #!/bin/bash

    repositories=$(cat ../ros2.repos | grep url | awk '{print $2}' | grep https)

    for url in $repositories; do
    	git clone $url
    done

The build then failed, as the branch I checked out was not the correct one. So I cd'd into the src directory, and rand the following:

    for i in $(ls); do
	cd $i
	git checkout -b release-beta1 release-beta1
	git reset --hard
	cd ../
done

Then was able to just follow the normal instructions (There was a [patch](https://github.com/ros2/rcl/commit/5f74a081e10fd00d00f84f6f9e657e213854e011) that has been merged already into master).

Then you can just run ament like it states in the tutorial. I had to comment out the tutorial repo in the script, but this is clearly not that essential.

If you have any questions, feel free to post back!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-on-gentoo/1434/1) or reply to this email to respond.