[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] Need to sync new release of rqt_topic (Indigo, Jade, Kinetic)

Martin Günther ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 12:51:27 UTC 2017

@dirk-thomas I hope my post didn't come across as complaining  about the buildfarm too much. The intent was to answer your question why regressions slip through maintainer's notice even though "the notification system worked as expected". In my experience, one factor why this happens is the poor signal-to-noise ratio. But perhaps I shouldn't have hijacked your conversation with @130s.

I appreciate all the work you've put into the build farm, and I'm not complaining, given that I don't have time to work on implementing my suggestions myself.

[quote="dirk-thomas, post:13, topic:1410"]
https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/ros_buildfarm/blob/a6bb22952f69b20207b2fd22494fe95dcca15a18/ros_buildfarm/templates/snippet/builder_system-groovy_check-triggered-build.xml.em#L23-L42
[/quote]

If I understand this correctly, before a build results in "Failure" (and triggers a notification email), it is rescheduled and retried twice at some later time? Strange. I would have expected that this would catch almost all the intermittent errors. But I guess it's a question of probabilities: Since the buildfarm isn't just triggered whenever I commit something, but whenever a dependency changes, and since the same build is run on many platforms, even a small probability of any single build erroring results in a substantial rate of false alarms.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/need-to-sync-new-release-of-rqt-topic-indigo-jade-kinetic/1410/14) or reply to this email to respond.