[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Downloading Dependencies

Geoffviola ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 02:47:44 UTC 2017

I looked at http://design.ros2.org, but I didn't see anything about plans for a new rosdep for ament. Based on the ROS 2 binary installations, I figure that the remote dependencies are managed by brew for Mac, Chocolatey for Windows, and apt for Ubuntu. Are there plans to have a generic tool to download these dependencies based on the package.xml like rosdep? Also, are there plans to generate the necessary files for these dependency managers from a package?

Unfortunately, the previous version of rosdep didn't handle downloading repositories directly. It seems useful to enable a complete stack source code build like Mike Purvis' ROSCon 2016 talk: http://roscon.ros.org/2016/presentations/ros-bundling.pdf. Building from source enables cross compiling, link time optimization, cross package bug fixes, native architecture optimization, and dependency artifacts on the fly without a binary server.

Ultimately, it would be nice to have one command to convert a repository/package(s) into artifact(s). Another tool to help get there would be to convert a package or packages into workspace.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/downloading-dependencies/1489/1) or reply to this email to respond.