[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Tractobots, my attempts at field robots

Kyler Laird ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 16:36:08 UTC 2017

That turn was scarier than it looked.  I decided to increase the headland for the next field.

I was using a CaryMart long-range kill switch but this winter I misplaced the remotes and I've wanted to build my own kill switches anyway.  I built a LoRa pair a couple weekends ago and I plan to package them next weekend.  Then I'll feel more comfortable operating Tractobot02 without being in the cab again.

I started with a small (23 HP) tractor because I was concerned about obstacles.  It did its share of damage and ran into me a few times.  I learned a lot from that, as I expected.  I'm not so willing to let the bigger tractors run into anything.  Fortunately, operating in an open field under constant supervision makes it fairly easy.  I'm hopeful that the auto industry will make robust and reasonably inexpensive pedestrian detectors available soon so I'm waiting for that.

I've been spending a lot (to me) on tools and supplies but it's amazing how little I have invested in Tractobot02's equipment.  It's basically a GPS (~$1K), antennas, a Raspberry Pi 3, Verizon USB stick, and an Arduino Nano.  $2K easily covers it.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tractobots-my-attempts-at-field-robots/1486/5) or reply to this email to respond.