[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Catkin_pip v0.2 released

Asmodehn ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 06:31:01 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you know that I just released the latest version of [catkin_pip](https://github.com/asmodehn/catkin_pip).
After about a year working on it on and off, I ended up with a reliable way to use pip from catkin.
It will be in the next indigo & kinetic sync.

It is a set of cmake scripts to enable you to use usual python packages in ROS directly, without modification.
Python packages that follow [Python Packaging User Guide](https://packaging.python.org/) only need a CMakeLists.txt and a package.xml, and you are ready to use them with catkin (build for devel, install, and as ROS packages) .

This makes depending on python packages much easier (no need to fork => less maintenance effort), and enables deploying existing python packages as ROS packages via a [Third Party Release](http://wiki.ros.org/bloom/Tutorials/ReleaseThirdParty).

More details in the documentation : http://docs.ros.org/kinetic/api/catkin_pip/html/

I advise you try it out, if the basic catkin workflow doesn't mix well with your python code.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/catkin-pip-v0-2-released/1561/1) or reply to this email to respond.