[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Gazebo on Gentoo

Jose Luis Rivero ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu May 4 21:27:51 UTC 2017

[quote="allenh1, post:3, topic:1786"]
Maybe it would be best to have a gazebo-kinetic and gazebo-lunar ebuild (along with the proper versioning, of course).
[/quote]

I would not recommend using the ROS distros as identifiers for the gazebo packages: they are both independent projects with their own names and versions, it is probably more consistent to keep the naming/versioning scheme of both. I, as a gazebo user/dev, would be surprised to see gazebo versions named with ROS release names. It should be easier to create `gazebo7`and `gazebo8` and make ebuilds to depend on the correct version or create a `virtual` named `gazebo` (it should make maintenance more easy and I have some valid use cases where you can use gazebo7 or gazebo8 with the same version of ROS)

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/gazebo-on-gentoo/1786/4) or reply to this email to respond.