[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Computer Vision / Perception] New Computer Vision Message Standards

Adam Allevato ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue May 9 17:37:31 UTC 2017

Hello computer vision users,

Please help us define a new set of computer vision specific ROS messages by reviewing the [proposal](https://github.com/Kukanani/vision_msgs_proposal) and providing your feedback, either here or on the repository.

At OSRF, we are in the process of defining a new standard set of ROS messages for the computer vision community, and we'd like your help. This need was identified from our computer vision [survey](https://discourse.ros.org/t/survey-computer-vision-in-ros-gazebo/1607/2) as a first step towards improving the ROS computer vision ecosystem, so thank you for the feedback!

The end result of this effort may be a new message package in `common_msgs`, a REP, or both. Our goal is to capture as many common computer vision use cases as possible, with the exception of navigation. (We feel that navigation and localization are already well-defined by the community and [REP 105](http://www.ros.org/reps/rep-0105.html).) Object recognition and image classification are two primary targets we are hoping to hit, and we want to cover both 2D and 3D use cases.

The [repository](https://github.com/Kukanani/vision_msgs_proposal) we have created is very much a work in progress, and only with your feedback can we make it better. Any feedback is welcome, bu here are a couple of questions I have identified:

1. Are there major use cases or edge cases not covered by this set of messages?
2. Is this set of messages broad enough to encompass both handcrafted and machine learning-based approaches to computer vision?

Thanks!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/new-computer-vision-message-standards/1819/1) or reply to this email to respond.