[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Computer Vision / Perception] Proposal - New Computer Vision Message Standards

Jeremie ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed May 10 11:42:50 UTC 2017

No problem @Loy, it's just that I have a specific use case in mind. It is as follows:
Local features (a point and a descriptor -> SIFT/SURF etc) are one of the basic component of CP and is used for geometry algos as well as for appearance-based algos. In feature-based Visual-SLAM (e.g. ORB-SLAM) you rely on feature both for the poses estimation (geometry) and place recognition (appearance). Those two tasks can be executed in parallel threads. Assuming you are using the same features for both tasks one could communicate a `Features.msg` (or such) to the other.
It is something (a `Features.msg`) I have been hackily doing here and there, feeding different classifiers - different processes for that matter.
I am just wondering here if a standardized way of moving such objects around would not make sense ?

ps : To be fair local features are also used from other sensor readings (e.g. laser scan, point cloud) so my question my be a little out of the scope of this thread.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/proposal-new-computer-vision-message-standards/1819/10) or reply to this email to respond.