[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] New ROS Robots website: robots.ros.org

Tully Foote ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed May 10 20:49:50 UTC 2017

We're happy to announce a new portal to explore and share ROS robots. http://robots.ros.org

This is a replacement for the wiki page http://wiki.ros.org/Robots as a portal for discovery of ROS robots and hardware components but should not replace either the technical documentation on the wiki, or the robots own website or homepage.

We've been [working](https://discourse.ros.org/t/call-for-contributors-for-new-robots-portal/805) on this in the background for a while. And the impetus to make the switch has come from our server metrics showing that the previous page http://wiki.ros.org/Robots was causing a large fraction of our server load on the wiki, and contributing to ongoing load based [service outages](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-org-latency-availability/1628?u=tfoote).

I want to give a very special thanks to @sloretz for helping migrate much of the content from the wiki into the site.

Of course this is envisioned as a site built on community contributions like the wiki has been already. It's hosted on Github Pages and the source is here: https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/robots.ros.org and there's a guide to contributing here: http://robots.ros.org/contributing/

The new site is much faster while giving more information and has opportunities to add [new features](https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/robots.ros.org/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Aenhancement) in the future. As always contributions are appreciated for both content or improved infrastructure.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/new-ros-robots-website-robots-ros-org/1826/1) or reply to this email to respond.