[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Chat for ROS on robotics.stackexchange.com

Tully Foote ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu May 18 02:28:07 UTC 2017

In light of the Slack channel being even quieter than the IRC we'd like to officially deprecate it. Setting up the Slack channel was an experiment to see if we could build more community through the new tool. However it seems that it's been more of a distraction and split peoples limited focus.

I would like to encourage people interested in realtime chat about ROS to use the IRC channel.

Bringing everyone together in one public place is the most likely to get critical mass.

As linked above you can find the #ros channel on freenode. Details are at: http://wiki.ros.org/Get%20Involved#IRC

Logs are viewable at: https://botbot.me/freenode/ros

And there are multiple web clients if you don't have an IRC client installed locally.
You can follow either of these links. (Please change your username)
 * http://irc.lc/freenode/ros/yourname
 * https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/?nick=ROS%7C?&theme=cli#ros

---
[quote="JimmyDaSilva, post:7, topic:1841, full:true"]
How can we get logins to the slack account ?
[/quote]
This is part of the challenge of slack. We had to setup a special heroku app to allow people to request invites to even be able to view the convesations. Maintaining this is part of the overhead we don't want to keep incurring for such a low volume.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/chat-for-ros-on-robotics-stackexchange-com/1841/8) or reply to this email to respond.