[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] REP3 proposal for Melodic Morenia

Mikael Arguedas ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 16:42:38 UTC 2017

[quote="clalancette, post:1, topic:3087"]
the use of C++11 in public APIs
[/quote]

To clarify: this was already possible in Kinetic and Lunar. The restriction so far was the possibility to use C++11 features and types in the packages part of desktop-full. The proposal in this REP is to lift that restriction.

[quote="dirk-thomas, post:2, topic:3087"]
Since this might be misleading: this does not imply that existing API in ROS code packages changes to use C++11 types (isntead of e.g. boost types) since that would break compatibility and require every package to update.
[/quote]

I think that's the part open to discussion on this REP. It doesnt _imply_ a change of API to use C++11 types but doesn't _prevent_ it as far as I understand. My reading is that people could change their API as long as they make sure to provide a way for downstream packages to migrate (typedef or PR for packages impacted)

[quote="clalancette, post:1, topic:3087"]
the use of C++11 and newer
[/quote]
The REP only speaks about C++11, there is no mention of _newer_ standards. @clalancette could you clarify which newer standards are considered ? should this be reflected on the REP proposal ?

---