[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Android app for ROS inspection

Joost ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 13:44:38 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on an Android app that monitors a running ROS system. At the moment it's very, very beta and it has limited functionality, just the equivalent of rosnode list and info, rostopic list and info. I made this app because my students often make ROS projects running on our Pioneer P3-DX robots outside, where running the ROS command line tools is not very comfortable. Having an app running on a smartphone or tablet that can inspect the ROS graph, show the contents of messages on a certain topic, etc. will be much more convenient.

The tool is free and will be released to the open source community very soon (once version 1.0.0 has been rolled out). It is currently at release 0.9.1 but I will probably deliver some updates in the coming weeks. Expect improvements to the stability, error handling, layout, etc. I'd appreciate it if you would try it out and confirm that it actually works (I have only a few Android devices/simulators available) and ideally I'd like this tested by as many people as possible.

You can find the app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.joostvanstuijvenberg.introspect

Thanks in advance for testing it!

Regards,
Joost