[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Error using python3 nodes on ARM64 & CoreDX

Brannon King ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 05:32:23 UTC 2017

Sure, although I'm not sure these steps are easier than helping me understand message_type_support.c. Steps to be ran on aarch64 (ARM Cortex 53 or 57):
1. Take the ros2.repos file from https://github.com/asirobots/ros2 in the release-beta3-asi branch.
2. Remove rmw_opensplice from the repos file so as to not confuse rclpy (which seems to load opensplice message libraries at random when running with CoreDX as the middleware -- feel free to debug that too).
3. Use vcs tool to process the repos file.
4. Modify src/ros2/tinyxml_vendor/tinyxml_cmakelists.txt to include set(CMAKE_POSITION_INDEPENDENT_CODE ON), which might only be necessary for GCC7 (which I have been using for cortex57 support; I'm not sure if the error happens with GCC5).
5. export CFLAGS="-march=native", export CXXFLAGS="-march=native"
6. export RMW_IMPLEMENTATION=rmw_coredx_cpp
7. compile: src/ament/ament_tools/scripts/ament.py build --skip-packages ros1_bridge --cmake-args -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release (although you probably don't want a Release build for tracking this)
8. Get your CoreDX environment variables established (run their env script and then run its output). You may need a copy of CoreDX from here: http://www.twinoakscomputing.com/lic_eval/coredx-4.0.20-Linux_2.6_aarch64_gcc49-Evaluation.tgz . TwinOaks will give you an evaluation license if needed.
9. Source in the install and execute ros2 run demo_nodes_py listener -- it will give an error and not work correctly.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/error-using-python3-nodes-on-arm64-coredx/3057/8) or reply to this email to respond.