[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] REP3 proposal for Melodic Morenia

Matt Vollrath ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 10:36:56 UTC 2017

As of March, [Python devs didn't know](https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2017-March/147660.html) if 2.7 would be part of the main, supported Ubuntu 18.04 distribution.  Software in this category is [supported for the life of the distribution](https://askubuntu.com/a/58365/508752), even if upstream devs stop maintaining it.  It looks like [the python2.7 package for bionic](https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/python2.7) is in main, so theoretically Ubuntu is responsible for continued maintenence until 2023.

Ubuntu is being proactive by shipping [only Python 3 by default in 18.04](https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Python), and I expect this will be the last Ubuntu LTS that officially supports Python 2.7.

I haven't read up on the Debian or Fedora Python situations, but I would be surprised if there weren't at least community-supported packages for those distros for the life of Melodic Morenia.

To maybe better answer your question, the migration wiki mentions that [ROS2 only supports Python 3](https://github.com/ros2/ros2/wiki/Migration-Guide#pure-python-package).

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/rep3-proposal-for-melodic-morenia/3087/6) or reply to this email to respond.