[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Android app for ROS inspection

Joost ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 17:56:27 UTC 2017

Hi Jubeira, thanks for trying my app! Android 4.4 is the minimum Android version (API 19) that I developed it for, since I own a 'vintage' Samsung tablet that has 4.4 on it, and 97% of the Android world is able to run apps on that level.

I decided not to use neither rosjava nor rosandroid, but instead developed my own classes for the communication with the ROS master. It's really not that complicated and I think I wouldn't use much of the offered functionality of those libraries. Besides, rosjava and rosandroid seem to be intended for the development of ROS nodes in Java, whereas my app needs functionality to query the ROS master. Not sure if that is offered by those libraries; will check it though.

Once I have added some more functionality, did (a lot of) refactoring and wrote some documentation, I will open it up. I'm thinking about opening a dedicated GitHub.io page for it.

In the mean time, if you'd like, you can leave a rating in the Google Play Store. Since this is the first time I deployed an app to the GPS, I'm curious as to how these ratings show up in the Google Play Console. And since I have to persuade some people here to give me some time to dedicate to this project, having positive feedback may help in convincing them :smiley:

Regards,
Joost

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/android-app-for-ros-inspection/3100/4) or reply to this email to respond.