[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Why don't we use ROS?

gavanderhoorn ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 19:42:26 UTC 2017

[quote="Chris_Albertson, post:7, topic:3161, full:true"]
Every last bit of ROS should be ablate be build independently and the only interface should be the text of the massages pass. It should not all need to be built in the same work space.
[/quote]

A workspace is really nothing more than a directory containing a nr of CMake projects. You should be able to just `cd $pkg_dir && make build && cd build && cmake ..`. There is no requirement for a shared workspace, it's just convenience.

[quote="Chris_Albertson, post:7, topic:3161, full:true"]
In my opinion the root cause is over coupling.  entire idea of a "ROS work space" is likely the cause of this.
[/quote]

Can you give an example of the over-coupling you mention? Big software projects tend to be complex, but if there is some low hanging fruit here that should deserve attention.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/why-dont-we-use-ros/3161/8) or reply to this email to respond.