[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Why don't we use ROS?

Bas de Bruijn ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 18:54:51 UTC 2017

[quote="iluetkeb, post:19, topic:3161"]
Im not sure what you mean by step generation.
[/quote]
That's an example of a component for a step generator for a stepper motor. You'd set velocity or position and stop caring about generating steps (let the hardware deal with that), or use PWM, or getting a velocity/position from encoder for that matter.

[quote="iluetkeb, post:19, topic:3161"]
I wonder what benefit is to be gained from MachineKit.
[/quote]

- re-use of a configuration (read control system) on different hardware
- use components (filters, PID etc) to configure your realtime control behaviour
- defined interaction between realtime and non realtime

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/why-dont-we-use-ros/3161/20) or reply to this email to respond.