[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Timestamps and rosbags: discussing an alternative to clock and use_sim_time

Davide Faconti ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 08:40:20 UTC 2017

Hi,

when I play rosbags, sometimes I feel that the whole __timestamp / clock /use_sim_time__ is hard to grasp and has many pitfalls and corner cases where it doesn't work.

When I use __rosbag play --clock__ and set the rosparam __use_sim_time=true__ things work 90% of the time, but occasionally, especially with TF, this approach seems to be unreliable.

Am I the only one that had this kind of problems? Am I missing something?

I would like to implement an additional option for __rosbag play__ to change the Header/stamp field of each message to avoid the simulated clock.

I am not asking if this is technically feasible (because I know how to implement it), I wonder if this is even __desirable__ and if the community would find it useful; as I said, maybe the rest of the community is just happy with the default approach.

Cheers

Davide

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/timestamps-and-rosbags-discussing-an-alternative-to-clock-and-use-sim-time/3238/1) or reply to this email to respond.