[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Multi threaded subscription callbacks

Secretary Birds ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 18:10:22 UTC 2017

I'm hoping someone can solve a debate we're having.

Does each subscription callback run in its own thread? Or do they round-robin in a single thread based on the data order received?

I guess we have assumed that a node with multiple subscriptions were spawning those callbacks in their own thread, which makes things performant. We've even been implementing some data protectors on shared data because of this assumption.

If this isn't the case, then our callbacks must be fast enough, and our algorithms nave enough to hide the fact that data is being processed sequentially.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/multi-threaded-subscription-callbacks/2863/1) or reply to this email to respond.