[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] Lack of a velodyne release

Martin Günther ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 12:09:26 UTC 2017

There's been a parallel discussion about this on  ros-sig-drivers: [Velodyne Driver Maintenance](https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ros-sig-drivers/ar8t-u1-kMU/Iz7McY-2AgAJ)

In short, @joq agreed to let Joshua Whitley share maintainership.

[quote="gbiggs, post:4, topic:2734"]
If @joq  doesnt have the time to do the binary releases for the supported distros but someone else is willing to take that on, perhaps this package is a good test case for having a separate releaser from the maintainer of the source?

I frequently hear people complaining that they don't have time to do the binary releases. I always find that a bit odd: In my experience, running the `catkin_generate_changelog, catkin_prepare_release, bloom-release` commands takes up maybe 1% of the time in maintaining a package. The remaining 99% is spent reviewing, testing, merging and iterating on pull requests, tracking down issues, porting to new distros, responding to issues, fixing bugs, making sure that the package correctly builds on the buildfarm and fixing bugs if it doesn't. Does it really make a maintainer's job that much easier if somebody else takes over the binary release part? And what happens when nobody feels responsible for the remaining 99% of the work?

Just trying to understand.

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/lack-of-a-velodyne-release/2734/5) or reply to this email to respond.

More information about the ros-users mailing list