[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [OpenEmbedded] New version of meta-ros for kinetic distribution

Lukas Bulwahn ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 04:44:15 UTC 2017

Hi Matthias,

Yes, you can go ahead and open pull requests (as I believe you already did); I will review, test and merge them there. As I was kind of indicatingin my first mail, I am maintaining the kinetic branch in parallel until more of less these two issues are solved:

1. all the build issues that are still open with the kinetic branch are resolved. That is #498 & #499 on https://github.com/bmwcarit/meta-ros/issues. It might just be an hour of work looking at those recipes, but I tried to resolve it in ten minutes and then gave up and deferred it to a point where I would more time or more users asking for it.

2. the pull request #519 to meta-ros is fully tested with the different supported scenarios, we have scripts in place that can test the features that #519 provides continuously in our CI. We then can finally merge it in the master branch.

I think once we have got those two open issues solved, we can actually split the current development in two branches, an indigo branch and a kinetic branch, and maintain both of them.

Both issues are not really difficult (at least I believe so), but they might require a week of work on that and so far no one has stepped up to do that and I am unfortunately too busy to find a week of time to do focussed work on meta-ros.

In the past, I was also concerned about the maintenance effort of two branches, as we did not have a CI in place, Fortunately, @rojkov has built a great CI solution for meta-ros and now testing pull requests to the branches is much easier and fully automatic. So, this issue I was concerned about is already solved and we can actually maintain two branches with reasonable effort now.

Best regards,

Lukas

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/new-version-of-meta-ros-for-kinetic-distribution/2833/4) or reply to this email to respond.