[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Ros.org latency & availability

Tully Foote ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 09:29:52 UTC 2017

We're actively moving the mirror rsync jobs off the server: https://discourse.ros.org/t/updated-rsync-endpoints/2991

The apache instance has been falling behind when the mirrors update and if it falls too far behind it never catches up and needs a restart.

In the very long term we're looking at using more static hosting methods for ROS2 documentation which can scale much better than the wiki.

We're well over the designed size of Moin Moin. We've known that for a while and have been optimizing it over time disabling features and streamlineing our delivery. Looking briefly at the analytics we've had approximately a 20% increase in traffic in the last 2 months which has probably pushed us past our last stable equilibrium.

The biggest challenge is that we have a lot of content and switching to any other system will take a herculean effort. There are a lot of automated conversion tools that we could try using. However they don't take into account the several macros that we use heavily for automating the tutorials etc. @wdsmart helped lead an effort at looking into migrating to Media Wiki and might be able to comment.

We've looked at this a lot and there just hasn't been a clear best solution. It's late now so I can't go into more details at the moment. I've got the machine back online now.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-org-latency-availability/1628/9) or reply to this email to respond.