[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] Time for reviewing ROS distro release cycle?

Tully Foote ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 22:05:48 UTC 2017

[quote="dirk-thomas, post:4, topic:2744"]
I think these two things dont go well together. Since the statistics do have some shortcomings they should be addressed now. Otherwise when we want to revisit the decision in a year+ we might simply not have the data we need to make an informed decision.
[/quote]

My point is that the annual metrics reports are not enough to make a decision, but that's not the only data we will have available next spring. The download data is available for all months, not just July in the metrics reports. I will just have to pull the logs and run the analysis. If we wait until next spring we'll have 9 months of trends instead of just the first 3 months for Lunar.

We would also likely want to do some more surveys etc about users use cases and needs for platform support.  People's planning horizons for OS support out 2 - 3 years is a lot less accurate than for the next year or two. So if we defer the survey and trend analysis until next spring/late in the melodic cycle then people will be looking only 1 or 2 upgrade cycles out instead of potentially 3 or 4 as Ubuntu Artful will be out and Ubuntu 18.04 will be well defined by then too.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/time-for-reviewing-ros-distro-release-cycle/2744/5) or reply to this email to respond.