[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [OpenEmbedded] Status and maturity of OE and ROS

Donovan Sydow ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 21:23:52 UTC 2018

Hi there. We're looking at implementing ROS from the ground up to replace the charging, control, and motion capabilities of our robotic camera. While I have a few years of experience supporting creating BSPs and recipes for yocto, I have yet to play with ROS. I wanted to gauge the current functionality of ROS in yocto/OE. Seems like for meta-ros the Igloo release is fully in master, there are experimental branches to support Kenetic, and then there is another parallel effort using superflore to automatically generate a ROS distribution for use in OE.

We're hoping to get up an running for our commercial product and shipping within a month. While we have tools and automation in place for yocto, are we better off reinventing our tools and automation for Ubuntu instead of sticking with yocto giving our timeline.

Happy to help test or get these working under yocto, just curious which branch or release I should focus on first.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/status-and-maturity-of-oe-and-ros/4404/1) or reply to this email to respond.