[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [OpenEmbedded] Status and maturity of OE and ROS

Donovan Sydow ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 17:44:21 UTC 2018

Using Yocto is risk reduction to me. We already have plenty of tools that leverage yocto and openembedded. Going to Ubuntu involves reinventing the wheel from a package selection, base os, monitoring, and automation standpoint. Not to mention the package size, loss of package control, tight integration, and overinflated size of the base OS that we lose just by using it. Should be only a few weeks at most to integrate ROS layer in OE, whereas redoing everything in ubuntu, puts this out to months for implementation.

Anyway, anybody have any thoughts of maturity and functionality of the openembedded layers available? Or do we reinvent or wheels in place for Ubuntu as Chris has suggested.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/status-and-maturity-of-oe-and-ros/4404/3) or reply to this email to respond.