[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] Are serious things done with ROS in Python?

Sam Pfeiffer ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 03:47:33 UTC 2018

I've digged a bit more, I was curious on what is Python doing in packages that have both Python and C++? (Updated the [gist](https://gist.github.com/awesomebytes/18c6a3f0c20ec6d62ec872db694ead68)).

You can find a list of the Python filenames for every package that contains C++ & Python here: https://pastebin.com/aiY5c1t2

My conclusion by looking at it, just with the filenames and the folder hierarchy (193 is too many packages to check them all 1 by 1, sorry!) with some grepping and some manual reading:

* People make tools using Python (commandline tools, filtering tools, debugging tools).
* People make tests* using Python (1059 files with test in the name/folderpath).
* People script things (duh) using Python (robot motions, if this then that, migration scripts, calibrations).
* People make demos using Python (28 files using the word demo).
* People make graphical stuff with Python (344 files/paths with rqt).
* People make fake stuff with Python (14 files with the word fake, as in fake_publisher, probably for testing/tutorial purposes).
* People provide examples in Python (93 files with the word example).

*Haven't checked if just in Python, or some kind of specific type of test is rather done in Python than C++, I personally do functional tests that way, as in, checking the topics/services/action servers do what they should, and I get the feeling it's the same by the filenames I've glanced over (many 'send' 'publish' 'pub' 'sub' ).

I hope someone else finds it interesting!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/are-serious-things-done-with-ros-in-python/4359/10) or reply to this email to respond.