[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Robot As a Service, anyone?

Scott C. Livingston ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 01:27:57 UTC 2018

cool!

I am starting a company that provides exactly this service (https://rerobots.net/). We have not made any big announcements yet, but here are two cases we are targeting that might align with your interests:

1. physical robots in a well documented workspace to which users get remote access, but to which they (users) can never physically go themselves.

2. easy sharing of experimental robots from one lab to another, peer-to-peer, where the documentation depends on what users (peers) provide.

The main goal of #1 is to support reproducible research. The environments are "well documented", i.e., you can build them yourself if you do not want to use the remote access service. The case of #1 includes both live interaction and non-interactive experiments. We have homing code that returns the robots to a set of known initial states at the end of each instantiation, which supports reproducibility.

The main goal of #2 is to facilitate remotely sharing of heterogeneous robots from research labs, something which has been re-invented by different groups over the past 20 years.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/robot-as-a-service-anyone/4463/5) or reply to this email to respond.