[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Robot As a Service, anyone?

Scott C. Livingston ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 20:23:16 UTC 2018

[quote="pitosalas, post:9, topic:4463"]
What I am envisioning (imagining?) is a way to program the behavior of the robot with less than the total flexibility of ROS, but still very powerful, and for a specific more limited domain, at least at first.
[/quote]

The earliest work of which I am aware is documented in the excellent book Beyond Webcams: An Introduction to Online Robots. Nov 2001. Eds. Ken Goldberg and Roland Siegwart. MIT Press. ISBN: 9780262072250. https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/beyond-webcams

It describes remote access to lab robots from around the years 1995, 1997, so some screenshots show the Mosaic Web browser, and some of the authors discuss using Java applets and clever tricks to make user's Web pages refresh (because modern JavaScript did not exist yet).

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/robot-as-a-service-anyone/4463/13) or reply to this email to respond.