[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [robot description formats] Add attribute to indicate if a mesh is a convex hull?

gavanderhoorn ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 08:04:31 UTC 2018

[quote="airballking, post:7, topic:4479"]
Regarding your original request, I personally think that this is an application-specific detail and would model it through ROS parameters. This strikes me as the most KISS approach.
[/quote]

It might be good to keep non-ROS consumers of URDF in mind as well. Ideally they would have access to this 'meta' information too. Encoding it as an attribute makes that straightforward. ROS parameters do not.

It would also avoid fragmenting the necessary information to successfully parse a URDF. Fragmentation like that is common in other areas of ROS already (MoveIt fi: joint limits from urdf, but also from config yaml, can be overridden with parameters and there's some dynamic reconfigure parts as well).

Note that other formats already support explicitly marking meshes as convex, or that capsules should be used for collision detection/physics, and they use similar approaches (attributes or a different tag/element/entity).

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/add-attribute-to-indicate-if-a-mesh-is-a-convex-hull/4479/8) or reply to this email to respond.